Websites and web apps have become vital for companies in this ever-changing world to have a prominent online presence. A strong online presence, particularly a website and app, can make or break your ability to generate more revenue. Yes, the quality of your website and app impacts results so selecting the appropriate backend framework for web and app development is essential.
Frameworks have become an important part of web development to develop rich and interactive websites and web apps. For backend (server-side) web and app development, a plethora of frameworks are available.
In this article, we will discuss a few backend frameworks that will be helpful for web and app development projects. Let’s dive right in to comprehend what backend frameworks are and the best backend framework that you would love to work in over the year 2022:
What is Backend Framework?
Backend frameworks are collections of server-side programming languages that aid in the development of a website’s backend structure. Backend frameworks offer pre-built components for building dynamic web applications. Using back-end frameworks for web development gives developers an advantage by lowering the threshold to build and configure everything from scratch.
As per the StackOverflow developers’ research, 10.89% of professional developers love to work on Laravel, followed by 37.1% of professional developers who love to work on the .net framework.
See below graph how technologies have trended over time:
Why are Backend Frameworks Essential for Web Development?
Backend frameworks are quintessential for web development. There are many benefits of using frameworks to build back-ends for example:
- They provide a better architecture to develop websites or an application.
- The framework helps you to write SQL queries faster and do not need to rewrite complete SQL Queries manually.
- They have a distinct architectural style. (for example, MVC), which results in code that is both usable and maintainable.
- Applications and websites can be developed efficiently.
- Using a framework you can develop with Less/No-code and you get more features.
The backend framework you choose will decide the nature of the success and functionality of your website.
What are the Best Backend Frameworks for 2022?
Here is the list of solid compares of Top Backend Frameworks by the percentage of questions asked on StackOverflow for Web Apps Development in 2022:
Let’s discuss each of them in detail.
The public release of Laravel was in the year 2011 and since then it is one of the most popular PHP frameworks. There are around 1,14,640+ active Laravel websites. Laravel is a web development framework that is simple and elegant, because of its clean and comprehensive syntax, which combines Model-view-controller architecture to develop web applications.
Laravel, for example, gives us a syntax that is both expressive and elegant. Laravel turns development into a fun, creative, and enjoyable process. Laravel is such a useful framework that it makes basic operations like routing, authentication, sessions, and caching much easier. It’s not only accessible, but it also comes with a set of strong tools for building large, stable applications.
A flawless simple syntax that can be used to create high-performing web applications implies that Laravel in 2022 and the coming years is promising.
Some of the few famous companies using Laravel
According to Github, Laravel has 68k stars and companies of all sizes, from small to large, are incorporating it into their stacks as a result of its growing popularity.
Benefits of using Laravel
- Flawless User Authentication and Authorization: One of the key Laravel benefits is its plug-and-play authentication methods, which enable users to safely access your resources through a lightning-fast, intuitive, elegant, and simple interface.
- Quick Caching Integration: Laravel quick or fast caching integration gives a stunning user experience on your website. Laravel supports in-demand backend caching like Memcached and Redis-out-of-the-box.
- Safe and Secure Transactions: When a business develops a website, then security is the prime concern and Laravel is best because of its built-in systems that protect against SQL injection, core site scripting, and more. Its codebase is frequently used, and as a result, it is well-protected.
- Open-source and Strong Community: Laravel is open-source and has a strong community that constantly supports developers and companies. As a result of the strong support you receive, your development work doesn’t stop.
- MVC Architecture: Because of MVC architecture that provides built-in functionalities, Laravel is the foremost framework to use for your web app development.
Features of Laravel
- Artisan Console: It is one of the best features of Laravel. Artisan, a built-in command-line tool in the Laravel framework, helps automate the majority of tedious repetitive programming processes.
- Libraries and Modularity: With its Object-oriented framework, Laravel is one of the best packages available. There are a number of pre-installed libraries that fully support modularity.
- Eloquent ORM: Eloquent Object Relational Mapping (ORM) is a Laravel feature that contains a simple PHP Active Record implementation. Instead of writing SQL code, web app developers can use PHP syntax to write database queries. In comparison to other PHP frameworks, ORMs are considerably faster.
- Unit- Testing: The Laravel framework can perform a large number of tests to ensure that the programmers’ new changes do not break anything in the web app unexpectedly.
- Template Engine: The Laravel framework is well-known for its lightweight templates, which can be used to build stunning layouts with dynamic content seeding.
According to Builtwith, Below is the graph of Laravel Usage Statistics
In 2002, Microsoft introduced .Net as a software framework. It is abbreviated as dot net and includes a number of coding languages, libraries, and editors. The .Net framework allows you to create a wide range of applications like web apps, mobile applications, gaming, the cloud, the Internet of Things (IoT), etc.
.NET software development framework and ecosystem allow quick development of desktop and web applications. It’s a popular free platform that’s now being used for a variety of applications because it provides the programming environment for the majority of software development phases. Businesses that want a wide range of functionality, such as web-based services, desktop software, and cloud infrastructure support, should use.NET.
In the current era of website development, most famous companies are using the .NET framework for developing web apps.
Some of the few famous companies using .NET
- Stack Overflow
According to Github .NET has 16.8k stars and companies of all sizes, from small to large, are incorporating it into their stacks as a result of its growing popularity.
Benefits of using .NET
- Requires less Code: An object-oriented programming that eliminates excess code and allows developers to write fewer lines of code. There is a lot of reusable code in .NET, as well as a lot of reusable elements. This leads to less time spent and lower costs in developing apps.
- Object-Oriented: In the.NET framework, everything you see is an object. As a result, you’ll have a powerful tool for not only accessing but also controlling your apps. This also makes responding to recurring events much easier.
- Caching: The caching system included into.NET is incredibly reliable and simple to use.
- Easy Maintenance: With.NET, creating and maintaining pages is easy. This is because the source code and HTML both are together.
- Saves Time: .NET saves a lot of time as it removes a larger part of coding requirements. This means companies save time and apps’ time to market is shortened.
- Large Community: .NET has a large community. Most of the companies and developers use the .NET framework because of the high-level support from the community. With a large community, almost any problem may be solved with the help of other members.
Features of .NET
- Common Language Runtime: This is the engine that is shared by all.NET languages, including C#, VB.NET, Managed C++, J#, and coming languages.
- Tool Support: To make the developer’s job easier, the CLR works in combination with tools like Visual Studio, compilers, debuggers, and profilers.
- Easy Debugging Support: The.NET IDE (integrated development environment) offers comprehensive debugging capabilities. When a run-time exception occurs, the program terminates, and the IDE highlights the line containing the error, as well as the specifics of the error and alternative solutions.
- Multi-Language Support: .NET supports multi-language development by managing the compilers that convert source code to intermediate language (IL) and IL to native code, as well as ensuring program safety and security.
- Security: The CLR ensures system security by identifying users and code, as well as performing permission checks. The code’s identity can be determined, and authorization to access resources is granted accordingly. This level of security is a key feature of the.NET framework.
Zend is the PHP framework and it was first released in 2006 by Andi Gutmans and Zeev Suraski. Zend is an open-source and object-oriented framework and there around more than 570 million installations to date. It uses characteristics like inheritance, reusability, and flexibility because it is a completely object-oriented framework.
It is based on MVC architecture and is licensed under the BSD license. The Front Controller Design Pattern in Zend also allows requests to be based on a single controller class. Zend is reliant on a number of packages. It also has a package dependency manager that makes it simple to organize and sort dependencies.
Also, Zend’s capabilities aren’t restricted to building websites for small and mid-sized enterprises; this strong PHP framework can also power enterprise web applications. The Zend framework can quickly increase your business by powering robust apps for you, thanks to its modular architecture, event manager, service manager, and PHP composer.
Some of the few famous companies using Zend
- Hostinger Stack
According to Github Zend has 5.6k stars and companies of all sizes, from small to large, are incorporating it into their stacks as a result of its growing popularity.
Benefits of Using Zend
- Object-Oriented: Zend is object-oriented allowing companies to inherit and enhance the functionality of predefined classes.
- Greatly Customizable: With the Zend framework, you can customize your website in any way you like, thanks to a variety of customizing tools included with the framework. The best aspect is that you can customize a Zend application in less time and with no problems.
- Large Community: Zend has a large community that supports and has been immensely accepted in the business and there are several esteemed websites developed in Zend.
- Standards and Guidelines: Every contributor should sign a Contribute License Agreement (CLA), and all work must follow a set of Coding Standards. This ensures that each code is of the highest quality, has been thoroughly tested, and is easily readable.
- Demos: One of the key benefits of Zend is it provides several demos that teach you about using its various components.
- Flexible Architecture: Most developers want to work on flexible platforms, and the Zend framework is the most flexible architecture platform available. This concept helps users to locate and correct all errors that occurred during the testing phase.
Features of Zend
- Handy Integration: Zend Framework is integrated with a wide range of libraries. It helps developers in testing their data across various components.
- Structured Code: If you’re going to add a new feature to the code, you should test it first before launching it. This makes it easier to avoid errors and encourages the use of object-oriented programming.
- Model-View-Controller: Zend framework offers MVC development. This allows you to divide your web project into presentation levels, data access layers, business logic layers, and so on. When multiple developers and designers are working on the same online application project, the MVC model becomes useful.
- Integration of Database: Zend offers great database integration capabilities, including DB2, MySQL, SQLite, Oracle, MongoDB, etc.
- Cross-platform: Zend supports a cross-platform operating system.
According to Builtwith, Below is the graph of Zend Framework Debugger Usage Statistics
Codeigniter is a PHP framework released on February 28, 2006, by EllisLab. It was created for web developers who want a simple and attractive toolset for building fully functional web apps. CodeIgniter is one of the most popular frameworks for building dynamic websites with PHP.
Codeigniter provides companies with well-organized documentation. It provides exceptional support and stability. It allows for a simple routing approach to be used. It also directs you to the cached website, which improves performance and loading time.
The framework provides complete freedom to the users, removing the need for them to rely on the MVC development paradigm. The best thing about CodeIgniter is that it allows third-party plugins to help with complex functionality implementation.
Some of the few famous companies using Codeigniter
According to Github Codeigniter has 18.2k stars and companies of all sizes, from small to large, are incorporating it into their stacks as a result of its growing popularity.
Benefits of Using Codeigniter
- Error Handling: A simple user interface is offered by Codeigniter to detect any errors or defects that may be hindering the website’s smooth operation and, as a result, harming the user experience.
- Hassle-free Migration: Codeigniter provides adequate migration support. CodeIgniter allows developers to migrate from one server to another when it comes to database updates and migration.
- Good Community Support: When it comes to advanced development services, a large number of skilled professionals are available to provide you with the finest-in-class support.
- Fast Development: The Codeigniter framework is best for fast development as it requires less code to develop a website.
- Simple and Easy to Use: The Codeigniter framework is simple and easy to use because of its easy interface. With Codeigniter, it is also easy to modify databases in different ways.
Features of Codeigniter
- Lightweight: Codeigniter’s fundamental system requires a relatively modest library. Other libraries can be added dynamically based on requirements. Because of this, the framework is quick and lightweight.
- Search Engine Friendly URLs: The multiple URLs that Codeigniter generates are clean and search engine friendly. Instead of using a normal query-based approach, it uses a segmented approach.
- Model-View-Controller: MVC provides a Test Driven Development, which implies that the developer may build and test modules precisely according to the requirements.
- Built-in Libraries: The framework provides built-in libraries that assist in doing all the tasks like email sending, manipulating images, HTML/text emails, etc.
- Data Transfer is Easy: With the Codeigniter framework transfer of data is easy without any loss of relevant data.
According to Builtwith, below is the graph of Codeigniter Usage Statistics
Now, you are well-versed with the best backend frameworks we have listed above. Choose the framework that best suits your project. Hence, in the coming years, you will definitely benefit yourself and will ease your development process with the above best backend frameworks.
If you are one of them who is looking for the best Custom Web Application Development Services then no need to worry, hire experts at Ace Infoway. We at Ace Infoway with 20+ years of experience will assist you in backend development projects.
1. How to select the best backend framework for your project?
The most crucial variables to consider while selecting backend technology are speed, reliability, and scalability. Get in touch with our skilled backend developers at Ace Infoway. Ace Infoway has developed hundreds of applications and websites using Laravel, .NET, Zend, and Codeigniter frameworks.
Our backend developers are not only coding professionals, but they also understand what their clients demand and are driven to deliver a high-quality solution that meets their objectives.
They will guide you at every step from choosing a backend framework to successfully delivering the web app development project.
2. Why should companies select the Laravel framework?
Laravel is the most popular PHP framework. Laravel assists in building user-friendly web and mobile applications that are easy to maintain, have robust functionality, and are quick to develop. So, if you are planning to develop a web and mobile application then it is recommended that you hire a professional and experienced Laravel development company and take the advantage of Laravel development.
With 20+ years of expertise, 5000+ successful projects, and 700+ happy clients, Ace Infoway is here to provide amazing Laravel development services.
3. What are the backend technologies that I can use for my web development project?
At Ace Infoway, we work on the best backend technologies like .NET, python, node.js, Java, and PHP. Hire backend developers now for building custom-made websites and applications as per your business requirements.
4. How do I get started on the development project with Ace Infoway?
Fill up the detailed form on the “Contact Us” page with your requirements and our team will get back to you within 12 to 24 hours. We will discuss your requirements along with the level of expertise and experience preferred. We will set you up with the best resources, timeline, and cost estimation for your project.